POS 34 (Place of Service 34)
As remarked about POS is the contracted form of Place of Service.
Place of Service Code or POS is a two-digit referral code.
It is set down on health care professional claims (Medicare, Medicaid, or private insurance) to indicate the backdrop in which a service was provided.
☑️Please take note of ~ The Centres for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) perpetuate POS codes that are used throughout the healthcare industry.
Open out on POS 34
The referral code POS 34 denotes “Hospice“.
Hospice is a provision (other than a patient’s home) in which two types of services are provided,
- Supportive care
for last stage diseased patients and their families.
Intents of Hospice
The Place of Service 34 or POS 34 is used for the following services at Hospice that mainly aim at
- Diminishing patients’ trauma
- Comforting them so that they can be free of pain
- Encouraging them to enjoy the remaining life with a touch of quality
- Providing effortless support for the patient’s social, emotional and spiritual needs
- Providing care(using some drugs) for relieving medical symptoms (pneumonia or bladder infections) as a part of treating the patient as a whole
- Bereavement services
- Physical, Occupational and Speech therapy if required
- Medical supplies and equipment medical social services
- Dietary counselling
- and Other counselling
☑️Please take note of ~ Hospice doesn’t intend to cure the patient.
Locus of Hospice-
Hospice is generally a home-based program.
But it is also emplaced at
- Nursing homes
- Other freestanding facilities
Managing team includes
The squad encompasses
- Social workers
- Respite care workers(so that the family can leave the venue for a while)
Although Hospice care is often carried with Palliative care; but they are not synonymous.
POS 34 or Place of Service 34 is only accountable for ‘Hospice’ care barring the Palliative care cost.
The payment for hospice enrolment is made through the Part A benefit in insurance for,
- all costs of daily care
- and the services provided by the hospice-employed physician.
Take care of the code while enrolling to avoid faulty services.
- Place of Service 20|POS 20 in Medical Billing(2021)
- Place of Service 32|POS 32 in Medical Billing(2021)
- Place of Service 65|POS 65 in Medical Billing(2021)
- Place of Service 81|POS 81 in Medical Billing(2021)
- Place of Service 19|POS 19 in Medical Billing(2021)
- Place of Service 12|POS 12 in Medical Billing(2021)
- POS 99|Place of Service 99 in Medical Billing
- POS 72|Place of Service 72 in Medical Billing
- POS 61|Place Of Service 61 in Medical Billing
- POS 34|Place of Service 34 in Medical Billing