The World Health Organization declared pandemic in March 2020, and USA declared as National Emergency on 13 March 2020 due coronavisrus infection spread in mass.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is announcing further additions to ICD-10-CM Covid-19 Codes to identify conditions related to Novel Corona Virus as per the under the National Emergencies Act Section 201 and 301. It is very important to aware all CPC certified or Non-Certified Coder who is working as a medical coder in healthcare.
The following 6 new ICD-10-CM Covid-19 Codes are mention below :
- J12.82, pneumonia due to COVID-19
- Pneumonia due to SARS-CoV-2
- M35.81, multisystem inflammatory syndrome
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children
- Pediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome
- M35.89, other specified systemic involvement of connective tissue
- Z11.52, encounter for screening for COVID-19
- Z20.822, contact with and (suspected) exposure to COVID-19
- Contact with and (suspected) exposure to SARS-CoV-2
- Z86.16, personal history of COVID-19
Medical Coders When reporting code J12.82 or M35.81, 1st must use dx code U07.1 for COVID-19, if it is applicable.
A tabular note under code M35.81 advised medical coders to use additional codes to report complications associated with multisystem inflammatory syndrome such as:
- [K72.0-]- Acute hepatic failure
- [N17.-]- Acute kidney failure
- [I40.-]- Acute myocarditis
- [J80]- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- [I47-I49.-] -Cardiac arrhythmia
- [J12.82]- Pneumonia due to COVID-19
- [R65.2-]- Severe sepsis
- [B33.24]- Viral cardiomyopathy
- [B33.23]- Viral pericarditis
Medical Coders who report a diagnosis of multisystem inflammatory syndrome using code M35.81 are also advised to use additional codes, if applicable, to report:
- Exposure to COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2 infection (Z20.822)
- Personal history of COVID-19 (Z86.16)
- Sequelae of COVID-19 (B94.8)
These all new 6 ICD-10-CM Covid-19 Codes will be effective from 01-01-2021 to identify conditions resulting from COVID-19. Full addenda information regarding the new codes and the final code titles will be published soon.